Monday, July 26, 2010

Summer in the 'Burgh

As you all know, we've spent a good deal of this summer in Pittsburgh: Memorial Day, Father's Day, Independence Day.

There are some advantages to this chapter of our lives. Nathan can point out the US Steel Tower, PPG Place, the HJ Heinz factory, and of course the Hospital. Even Isaac says "teel tower, Da-tan," which when translated is "Steel Tower, Nathan."

And you can see now that we got some pictures up, when else am I going to get to walk through Heinz Field and the Steelers Great Hall?

It is wearing us out, though. Our week typically looks something like this:
  • Gwen spends the first part of the week at home, and comes down to Pittsburgh by herself sometime during week
  • I bring the boys down on Friday evening after work, arriving around 9 pm
  • After we get the boys in bed, I go over to see Isabella. We get to bed around 12:30 am
  • Isaac wakes up around 7 am on Saturday. Sometimes Nathan gets up, too. I take them upstairs to the Penthouse so Gwen can sleep. We play with the tennis ball in the hallway and watch "Marty Stouffer's Wild America" at 7:30 in the Laundry Room.
  • When they open the kitchen at 8 am, I get some coffee and breakfast.
  • Go wake up Gwen (and Nathan) around 8:45 am
  • Go see Isabella and try to keep the boys from going crazy in her room
  • Sometimes family will come visit on Saturday.
  • On Sunday mornings, we go to church, then go see Isabella again
  • Depending when we leave, we usually get home on Sunday evenings between 8 and 10 pm.
  • Repeat.
It was also somewhat sobering when Isaac said "We're home" when we pulled into the hospital parking garage! It is certainly taking its toll on all of us.

With her next surgery now scheduled, hopefully we will be able to finally bring her home!

The other night I was talking to Isabella in her room and telling her all the people who have told us that they are praying for her. Somehow it's more meaningful to actually say the dozens of names.

Thank you to everyone for their prayers and gifts! We have been blessed by your generosity and caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment